Gift Shop &
Cherohala Biker Gear


 

            

Admission
Free

Address
229 Cherohala Skyway
Tellico Plains, TN 37385

Museum Hours
Monday - Sunday
10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
 

Email
charleshallmuseum
@hotmail.com

&
contact@
charleshallmuseum.com

Phone
423-253-8000

 

 
 

Follow us
on facebook

 

 

 

 

 

Both Books are available
at the Charles Hall
Museum Gift Shop & at
The Book Shelf on
Scott Street in
Tellico Plains.

 

 

 

Books For Sale


A Pictorial History of the Tellico Plains Area
1849-1949
224 Pages - Soft Cover
$23.80

 


  In the year of the 100th birthday of Tellico Plains, A Pictorial History of the Tellico Plains, Tennessee Area, “The Collections of Charles Hall,” Including the Tellico Ranger District of the Cherokee National Forest, celebrates the history before, during, and after the birth of the town in 1911, along with the beginning and development of the Cherokee National Forest. A total of 636 archival photographs depict stories that unfolded over a span of 100 years from the first European settlers in the 1800s until four years after World War II in 1949.

  Author Pamela Hall Mathews, under the scrutiny of her father, Charles Hall, displays a portion of his photographic collections that encompass the earliest known pictures of old street scenes and picturesque mountain, river, and scenic valley views. Pam spent four years archiving his collections in preparation for the book. Born in Tellico Plains in 1924 and mayor for 31 years, Mr. Hall is the town historian, curator of the Charles Hall Museum, and has collected historical photos and documents from the area for over 50 years.

  The impressive photographs take the reader from a sparsely settled area to a logging boom town and on to a national forest. The development of Town Square evolves from pictures of a town with dirt streets, a few wood framed buildings, and horse-drawn buggies to paved streets, brick buildings, and gasoline-powered automobiles. Pictures depicting the chronology of accessing Bald River Falls include the logging railroad built above Bald River Falls about 1909, the logging railroad trestle built below Bald River Falls about 1912, the wood floored bridge built in 1928, and the bridge built of concrete in 1933 that is still enjoyed to this day. The addenda section includes Babcock Lumber Company’s logging operations in the Tellico Mountains that began in 1906 and the camps of the Civilian Conservation Corps established in the 1930s. The book is a compelling illustrated history that follows the people, schools, churches, businesses, farms, and recreational activities of a small town that lies at the entrance of the Tellico Ranger District of the Cherokee National Forest.

 


A History of Tellico Plains, TN
10,000 B.C - 2001 A.D.
238 pages, hard cover--$29.95

 
 


  Charles Hall draws from his rich Tellico Plains heritage, his massive collections of documents, town records, maps, and pictures in this 238 page history book of the area that includes 60 historical pictures. Printed in 2001 the book was a labor of love for the people that appreciate Tellico Plains as he does. He spent thousands of hours looking at microfilm of old newspapers, court records and other historical documents. The book begins with references to the early inhabitants, explorers and traders and the Cherokee people, along with the first white settlers and businesses in the 1800s. There are military sections from the Civil War through World War II. Hall brings the narrative up to date recounting businesses, general merchandise stores, banks, factories, civic organizations, citizens and town officials. The written history includes the genesis of the railroad, post offices, iron ore and slate mining, the telephone companies, the volunteer fire department, the lumber companies (including Babcock Lumber Company from 1906- 1929), roads and highways (including the Cherohala Skyway), the town officials, the early history of the Cherokee National Forest and much more.

 

 

Home | WBIR "Your Stories" | Books For Sale | Directions

Copyright 2012